Does CBD Oil Work for Pain Relief?
5000-year-old Indian studies have shown that cannabis is not just a weed. It is an effective medicine that provides uncountable physical and mental health benefits to humans.
The endocannabinoid system (ECS) of the human body receives signals from cannabinoid compounds found in cannabis. The ECS regulates the proper functioning of the immune system, sleep, and pain.
What is CBD?
Cannabidiol, also known as CBD, is one of the 120 compounds of cannabis that are called cannabinoids. The cannabidiol can be extracted from other plants also but most people believe that it is found only in cannabis. Unlike THC, CBD does not produce the euphoric sensation that causes the consumer to feel high.
CBD interacts with the receptors in the body. It can help to treat health issues like nausea, Alzheimer’s disease, eating disorders, pain, chronic pain or chemotherapy issues. It supports homeostasis and soothes any soreness or pain.
Many people practice cannabis yoga to achieve mental and physical well-being. This yoga practice includes the use of CBD oil and other CBD products. The performer who uses CBD oil and lotion while performing yoga, deal more efficiently with chronic aches or injuries.
Drain Zeer, the creator of 420 Retreats in Colorado, said that “Cannabis, for me, is a medicine for the physical, emotional, and spiritual body.” He takes CBD to combat his backache and chronic joint pain.
What is CBD Oil?
Different methods and techniques are used to extract the compounds of cannabidiol. These extracts are then added to a carrier oil. This carrier oil mixed with the extracts of CBD is then referred to as CBD oil. It can be used for various purposes.
How CBD Helps To Relieve Pain?
People are using CBD for thousands of years to treat and heal the pain. Recently, the medical industry has also started researching the physical and mental health benefits it can bring to humans.
Many people use cannabidiol to relieve pain because it is safe and natural. It is completely different from THC and does not change a person’s mental state.
CBD activates the compounds in the endocannabinoid system and prevents the body from absorbing anandamide. Anandamide is the element that is associated with the regulation of pain. When the level of anandamide increases in the bloodstream, the person feels less pain.
CBD can also help to control and reduce the level of inflammation in the nervous system and brain. This limited inflammation benefits people to experience less pain and sleep disorders.
CBD for Arthritis Pain Relief
The anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving effects of CBD can potentially help to combat arthritis. Studies have shown that CBD can deal with arthritis pain very effectively.
Researchers applied a topical gel containing CBD to rats with arthritis. They note a significant recovery from the inflammation and pain within 4 days, without any additional side effects.
CBD for Chronic Pain Relief
CBD is highly useful for people with chronic pain and is gaining popularity among patients of chronic pain. It is a natural way to relieve pain. Anecdotal evidence has also suggested that CBD can give relief from chronic pain.
After the latest studies and tests, medical experts have also concluded that CBD has positive impacts on chronic pain. Some researchers believe that it interacts with the ECS and immune system and therefore helps to relieve pain.
It is a good alternative for the patients who rely on medicines like, opioids. This medication can be addictive and have severe side effects. However, CBD is an efficient treatment because it cannot make patients addicted.
Recent studies have proved that the subjects taking CBD don’t build up a tolerance to its effects. Therefore, people, who are taking it don’t require an increased dose continually.
People suffering from chronic pain can use topical CBD products, such as CBD creams and lotions, to manage their symptoms. It can reduce pain, inflammation and the uncomfortable feelings related to the patient’s health.
CBD Can Relieve Multiple Sclerosis
Multiple Sclerosis is an autoimmune disease. It can affect the entire body of the patient through the brain and nervous system. One of the most common symptoms of multiple sclerosis is muscle spasm. Some patients may feel constant pain as a result of these spasms.
Using CBD oil can reduce the level of spasticity in the person suffering from multiple sclerosis. The results are not instant but people often report a reduction in the symptoms and pain.
CBD for Cancer Treatment Relief
Some cancer patients also use CBD to decrease pain related to the disease and its treatment. Research has proved that CBD can shrink the cancerous tumours in rats. However, this method is not used to treat cancer in humans yet, although cancer patients are resorting to supplementing with CBD oil.
The National Cancer Institute has suggested taking CBD can reduce chemotherapy side effects. CBD can help cope with the pain, vomiting, loss of appetite, and other minor side-effects resulting from the therapy.
CBD for Migraine Pain Relief
It is an ideal treatment for people suffering from migraines. Patients with cluster headaches also found relief in taking CBD oil. People taking CBD have reportedly experienced less intense migraines than those who are not taking it.
Other benefits of CBD
- CBD oil provides natural pain relief and can fight pain and inflammation that is why it is best for reducing sciatica pain.
- It can treat people with rare kinds of epilepsy, namely Lennox-Gastaut syndrome (LGS) and Dravet syndrome. (DS)
- Epidiolex is the only CBD product that is approved by the Food and Drug Administrator (FDA). The medicine is helpful in treating epilepsy.
- CBD oil can reduce anxiety, Alzheimer’s symptoms, and can treat seizures.
- It has antipsychotic effects on patients of schizophrenia.
Possible Side-Effects of CBD Oil
Ask your doctor before you take CBD oil or any other CBD product. A balanced intake can be tolerated very easily. But taking too much may cause problems for consumers. These side-effects are extremely rare but we want to make you aware of them so you know what to look out for.
The most common side-effects of CBD products include;
- Loose bowels
- Loss of appetite
- Weight gain or weight loss
- Liver toxicity
- Lung problems
- An increased risk of infection.
Things to Remember
- Treat the CBD products with caution.
- It is highly recommended to consult your doctor or healthcare provider before you start the regular intake of CBD products. If you are taking any CBD product for the first time ask your doctor. Your doctor can tell you if it is good for your health or not.
- You must remember that the FDA doesn’t approve non-prescribed CBD products so all claims made in this article are anecdotal.
- If you are using Epidiolex, a product of CBD, make sure that you are following your doctor’s prescribed dosage. Too much can cause certain health issues.
- CBD oil is not recommended for children because so far research and tests have been conducted on adults. Consult your child’s doctor before giving even a small dose of cannabidiol.
- We recommend not taking CBD products if you are pregnant as not enough research has been undertaken yet. Similarly, don’t take CBD products when you are breastfeeding.
Besides the rare side-effects involved with CBD oil, it has numerous health benefits.